Advocacy Outreach Organizer
Date Posted: 1/24/2012
Organization: Ovarian Cancer National Alliance
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: February 15, 2012
Description of Organization:
The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance is the foremost advocate for women with ovarian cancer in the United States. To advance the interests of women with ovarian cancer, the Alliance advocates at a national level for increases in research funding for the development of an early detection test, improved health care practices, and life-saving treatment protocols. The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance educates health care professionals and raises public awareness of the risks, signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer.
The Advocacy Outreach Organizer is responsible for the outreach, recruitment, and retention of ovarian cancer advocates nationally. The Organizer works with existing networks, including Partner Members, as well as creating new ones to promote a policy agenda that provides solutions for women with ovarian cancer and their families.
- Work with existing Partner Members, staff and grasstops to develop and implement an outreach plan
- Develop and coordinate programs designed to promote the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance and its services to the community and the target population.
- Help train advocates for policy work, scientific review & etc
- Cultivate relationship with potential advocates, including new potential Partner Members, grasstops or others
- Coordinate regular meetings and outreach to ensure attendance
- Work with existing team at the Alliance to incorporate social media, Capitol Hill and other efforts as needed
- Create qualification process for Partner Members, grasstops, etc, and provide materials to said constituencies as needed
- Work with advocates to evaluate and membership structure and hold processes for changes as needed.
- Work closely with VP for Policy to coordinate efforts
- Represent the Alliance at various meetings
- Plan, recruit and manage annual Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill in conjunction with other staff
- Keep a log of duties, activities, and time
Prior organizing experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent people and relationship building skills
- Experience with campaign strategy development and implementation
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook and Excel
- Detail oriented
- Able to work independently
- Patience, persistence and flexibility
- Enthusiasm and tact
- Positive attitude, high energy and good work ethic
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com