Date Posted: 8/26/2011
Organization: Planned Parenthood of the St Louis Region
Location: Springfield, MO
Description of Organization:
Planned Parenthood of the St Louis Region and Southwest Missouri is dedicated to provide, protect and support reproductive rights and services.
Under approved protocols and a collaborative practice agreement provides quality reproductive health care through initiation and maintenance of patients in a family planning and related health services regimen. Ensures high quality care in an environment conducive to patient rights and consistent with approved affiliate protocols. May require travel to other PPSLR sites. May require day, evening, weekend hours. Requires excellent written and oral communication skills. Requires mobility to provide physical exams.
PRIMARY DUTIES PERFORMED
- Assesses patient’s family planning needs by obtaining and evaluating medical and social history.
- Performs appropriate health screening procedures consistent with approved skills including, but not limited to, breast, pelvic recto-vaginal examination, testicular exam, prostate exam, and extremity visualization.
- Orders, obtains, and interprets appropriate laboratory tests.
- Provides client centered counseling and education about family planning methods to patients, and manages patients’ problems and questions related to such.
- Provides counseling and education about complementary health services to patients, e.g., STDs, HIV, EC, and manages patients’ problems and questions related to such.
- May provide 24 hour informed consent for abortion care as a qualified health professional as needed in non-title X health centers
- Examines patients and dispenses contraceptives and other medications as indicated.
- Make referrals in accordance with the standards and guidelines of PPFA and of PPSLR. Follows up with patients as indicated in standards and guidelines and as indicated by the severity of the referral condition.
- Estimates uterine size by pelvic examination for the purpose of pregnancy determination and makes appropriate referrals.
- Obtains proper consultation in the event of an abnormal Pap smear, mass in the breast, etc., and interprets follow-up to the patient.
- Refers patients as appropriate to medical and social service providers.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of quality care systems and standards, including but not limited to, medical protocols/guidelines.
- Maintains a “patient advocate” role in monitoring quality of care.
- As indicated: participates in committee work; attends and presents at medical committees, represents affiliate on community coalitions related to health care.
- Active member of clinician team. Attends meetings as indicated. Active participation in discussion and decisions about the provision of care in the clinics.
- Decides on, develops protocol for, and assists in implementing new medical services in PPSLR health centers. Works with appropriate personnel on such.
- Orientates and trains, as delegated, new clinic staff in medical standards and practices. Educates all clinic staff on an on-going basis on medical information consistent with services provided.
- Presents medical topics at affiliate in-services as needed
- Documents in the medical record, in English, all encounters with patients, consistent with affiliate Quality Assurance and Risk Management standards
- Follows protocol for approved services and operates within the confines of policy, protocol, medical guidelines, and collaborative practice agreements
- Consults with the medical director, regional manager, and director of health services as appropriate. Informs any/all of those listed if an incident with a client occurs which warrant such, including those on the occurrence lists
- Compliant with all infection control policies and procedures; safeguards patients and self
- Performs lab tests correctly and records accurately all lab results in designated lab books, medical records, etc.
- Monitors and assists regional manager in monitoring clinic staff for compliance with medical standards and guidelines
- Protects confidentiality of PPSLR clients, staff, volunteers, donors, Board, and all other areas of operations
- Protects PPSLR and its assets from liability
- Follows HIPAA privacy and security guidelines
- May perform in a training capacity with newly hired PPSLR clinicians
- Contributes to the clinic’s growth through marketing, scheduling, budgetary ideas for service provision
- Presents on reproductive health care to the community as need dictates and training permits
- Nurse Practitioner with MSN Degree or certificate of graduation from an advanced practice certificate course or licensed Physician Assistant
- NCC certified for WHNP, ANCC or AANP certified for FNP and Adult NPs or AMCB certified for Midwives or be able to sit for a certification
- Current state license required
- For Missouri and Illinois NPs, recognized by the state as an Advanced Practice Nurse able to function under a collaborative practice agreement
- Ability to work in a fast paced setting
- Ability to make sound, ethical, independent decisions consistent with medical protocols
- Understanding of and commitment to health care and to patients’ involvement in their health care
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations
- Effective oral and written English communication skills
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org