About ARHPBoard of DirectorsClinical Advisory CommitteePosition StatementsSupport ARHPJob BoardContact UsSign up for eAlertsMember Code of Ethics
Send To A Friend
Share this page
Senior Legal Adviser, Africa
Date Posted: 12/20/2016
Organization: Center for Reproductive Rights
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Description of Organization:
The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 130 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $23 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Centerís game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of womenís rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Center seeks a Senior Legal Adviser, Africa who will report directly to the Regional Director, Africa and work closely with other program staff to support and build the work of the Africa Regional Program.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Senior Legal Adviserís primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support program strategy on litigation, including identifying potential strategic cases at the national, regional, and international levels in collaboration with partner organizations; researching and writing pleadings, legal memoranda, amicus curiae, submissions to regional human rights bodies, UN submissions, and case briefs on comparative and international human rights law; and identifying claims for use in national, regional, and/or international fora;
- Monitor compliance with international obligations relating to reproductive rights and jurisprudential developments;
- Design and implement advocacy strategies to support potential or existing litigation;
- Contribute to the development of advocacy materials and other Center publications;
- Support the development and implementation of a capacity-building strategy on initiatives to advance reproductive rights in the region;
- Undertake fact-finding missions to document and expose human rights violations;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and regional NGOs and key stakeholders;
- Cultivate pro bono partnerships and develop projects with law firms, law associations, and law schools in the region to leverage the Centerís work;
- Represent the Center externally on matters related to reproductive rights in the region through public speaking and interaction with the media;
- Assist the Regional Director with the supervision of interns, volunteers, and pro bono lawyers;
- Support other program, management, and operational activities as necessary; and
- International travel is required.
- Strong commitment to the Centerís mission, purpose, and values;
- Degree in law (Juris Doctor or postgraduate) required;
- Minimum 7 years related professional experience;
- Knowledge of international human rights, womenís rights, and African human rights system preferred;
- Experience litigating constitutional and human rights cases in Kenyan courts necessary; before regional or international human rights systems a plus;
- Capable of complex legal analytical work and creative and strategic thinking;
- Advocacy experience, including as part of NGO coalitions a plus;
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and oral advocacy skills;
- Very detail-oriented with strong organizational and coordination skills; and
- Ability to work collaboratively, to multi-task, and to work under pressure.
Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.