Staff Attorney, Litigation
Date Posted: 3/24/2017
Organization: The Center for Reproductive Rights
Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: Rolling
Description of Organization:
The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 130 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $23 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Staff Attorney, Litigation will report directly to the Litigation Director and will work closely with other attorneys in the U.S. Legal Program. Under the supervision of our Senior Counsel and Senior Staff Attorneys, the Staff Attorney will be part of the Center’s litigation team and participate in impact litigation on reproductive rights and justice issues in federal and state courts around the country. The Center’s high-profile and fast-paced litigation often involves novel legal claims, and our groundbreaking cases have changed the law and improved the lives of women throughout the U.S.
This position will be based in New York City.
The Staff Attorney’s primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct all aspects of litigation, including legal research and analysis, discovery and motion practice, assisting with trials and appeals;
- Maintain client relationships, including providing compliance advice;
- Supervise legal fellows and interns;
- Represent the Center at public events, conferences, and coalition meetings;
- Maintain other important institutional relationships;
- Participate actively in program planning;
- Work with Communications and Development departments to provide support and information, as needed, including handling press calls; and
- Work on other projects, as needed, such as legal analyses related to Center legislative and advocacy priorities.
- Strong commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values;
- J.D. required;
- New York bar membership, or the willingness to become a member within 18 months of hire, required;
- Minimum of 3+ years’ litigation experience, including judicial clerkship(s);
- Outstanding legal analysis skills, including the ability to develop complex legal arguments;
- Excellent research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal skills; and
- Experience with reproductive rights issues or with other issues related to human rights, civil rights, or racial, economic or social justice is a plus, as is experience working with or on behalf of marginalized communities.
Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.