Vice President of Developed
Date Posted: 4/6/2017
Organization: Planned Parenthood Northern California
Location: San Francisco
Description of Organization:
Planned Parenthood Northern California (PPNorCal) is offering an exciting opportunity for a Philanthropy professional that desires to excel in a dynamic environment. PPNorCal has a strong donor and supporter base that continues to grow by the day. The organization is in the second year of a 5-year $50MM comprehensive campaign to increase its presence in San Francisco and make new investments in services and programs. PPNorCal seeks to hire a highly skilled professional who has a passion for our 100-year mission and a proven track record in fundraising.
The Vice President of Development is a member of the senior management team and is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising strategy to secure public/private contributions for Planned Parenthood Northern California (PPNorCal) in accordance with the organization’s goals and priorities. In addition to the annual fundraising programs, the VP oversees all campaigns, endowment efforts, special events/projects, and in partnership with the Public Affairs Department, develops and executes funding strategies for PPNorCal’s Action Fund (c4 entity).
This is an exempt, full-time position, which will include evenings and Saturdays as needed. Salary is DOE.
- Develop strategy and provide innovative leadership for all annual fundraising initiatives, including direct response and on-line activities; major gifts and planned giving; events and event sponsorships; campaigns and institutional giving.
- As legally appropriate, work with our sister organization, Planned Parenthood Northern California Action fund to raise funds.
- Develop and engage board and volunteers in fundraising cultivation and solicitation activities.
- In partnership with the CEO, serve as staff lead on Board and volunteer committees and task forces that support the development of the organization’s fundraising leadership and capacity.
- Identify and provide opportunities for donor/leadership engagement.
- Lead a department of eleven total employees, plus consultants and contractors as needed.
- Manages the Director of Institutional Philanthropy, Director of Development Operations and the major gifts team. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Personally cultivate and solicit major individual and foundation donors and prospects.
- Ensure that efficient operational and data systems are in place to support the timely and accurate execution of all fundraising activities.
- Partner with other internal departments to share information and develop integrated communications and social media strategies that advances PPNorCal’s fundraising goals.
- Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation/coordination with accounting.
- Conduct performance analysis on all fundraising campaigns and activities.
- Develop and meet department income/expense budget projections.
- Contribute to the overall leadership and direction of the organization as a member of the senior management team.
- Assist other departments in the pursuit of public and private competitive grants that are consistent with PPNorCal’s mission and growth.
- Represent PPNorCal with external audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred. Ten plus years of experience in this field with at least 5 years of progressively responsible management experience is essential; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have reliable automobile transportation and a valid California Driver's License and insurance.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive is a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point) and Raiser’s Edge development software.
- Advanced writing and editing skills.
- Strong networking/interpersonal relationship skills.
- Ability to manage/navigate/direct complex individuals and group dynamics.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of flexibility and creativity within a constantly changing environment.
- Passion for Planned Parenthood’s mission.
Please apply directly on-line for this opportunity at www.ppnorcal.org. Include a cover letter along with your resume stating your interest and qualifications.